App store optimization is an ongoing task. In today's hyper-competitive market, the vast majority of new apps are released in both the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store, further complicating the ASO game within each market. Although users can find and download the majority of (new) apps in either store, they operate in very different ecosystems.
The success of an app in either environment is dependent on understanding the key differences in each market's algorithms. Understanding these distinctions will provide you with the necessary leverage to optimize your ASO strategy and achieve optimal search results.
Discover the key distinctions between the two largest app stores
App Store Optimization (ASO) is the process of improving your app's visibility in app stores. If your company has an App, you've probably heard of ASO, which is also known as "Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for Apps." You may even be aware that an ASO strategy is necessary to improve your results.
Few people realize, however, that ASO's work extends far beyond maintaining colorful icons, creative screenshots, and relevant keywords. Unlike SEO, where Google determines all of the positioning rules, ASO requires you to understand the differences between the Google Play (Android) and App Store (Apple) stores. Find out what the differences are and how they can affect your app. Prepare your company for expansion!
Click "Learn More
" to drive your apps & games
business with the ASO World app promotion
What Are the Differences Between Checking Apps in the App Store and Google Play?
Differences in the Metadata Change Process
All changes to the app metadata do not need to be built in Google Play; you can change metadata fields in Google Play Console.
Even if you only want to change one word in the metadata, you must upload a new version of the app to the App Store.
This is why changing metadata in Google Play takes less time than it does in the App Store.Related reading:ASO in 2022: Difference Between iOS App Store and Google Play ASOASO On-Metadata Optimization In 2022: What Are The Differences Between Apple App Store & Google Play Store?
App Review Process Variations
When you submit a new version of your app to the App Store, it is manually checked, whereas the process of checking the app in Google Play is automatic.
Typically, moderators spend 10 minutes reviewing each app. It is impossible to check everything in 10 minutes, which is why moderators sometimes approve an app even if it violates App Store Guidelines. However, you can be certain that the moderator will notice that you violated the rules and will request that you change your metadata.
In such cases, all you need to do is correct the rule violations in your metadata, and your app will be published. Google is much more stringent. Because of rule violations, your app's sales may be halted or it may be removed from the store.
Because there is no manual verification in Google Play, all apps are checked automatically, which leads to frequent errors. For example, because of the phrase "Blue Tractor," an app could not be published. The algorithm determined that this phrase violated the Google Play guidelines.
The process of checking metadata in Google Play is much stricter, and if you violate it, your app will be deleted. Before publishing your app, read the App Store and Google Play rules and guidelines.
* Grow with our app growth solutions - choose a guaranteed app ranking service
for TOP 5 app ranking acquirement
, and maximize your app traffic. Or click the "Promote Now
" above (to increase app installs
service for app visibility).
* What Is the Keyword Guaranteed Ranking Service? What Is the Advantage of It?
How to Conduct ASO in App Store & Google Play?
ASO in the App Store
1. Find keywords for which you can realistically claim first place. On the first screen of the App Store, there are only two apps in the search results. Users rarely reach your app if you have a low ranking. It is acceptable to use keywords with medium popularity but low competition for new apps because these keywords have a real chance of ranking high.
2. Put keywords in the App Title, Subtitle, and Keywords fields because the Google Play algorithm will index them.
3. Make use of additional localizations. They will provide you with +160 characters for app rankings and will assist you in promoting your app to people who speak other languages in the selected country. The App Store Localization Table contains all additional localizations.
4. Use In-App Events and In-App Purchases to boost your app's ranking in search results and increase the number of installs, active users, and revenue.
5. Launch Apple Search Ads to protect your search results from competitors. Thanks to Apple Search Ads, you can rank first in two searches.
6. Try to update your app more frequently, as apps that have been updated receive a special boost in the App Store.
ASO in Google Play
1. Make your app icon stand out from the crowd on Google Play. People in Google Play see only your app title and icon in the search results and choose to visit your app page based on these fields. Your app icon must capture the user's attention.
2. Include keywords in the App Title, Short Description, and Full Description because the Google Play algorithm indexes these metadata fields.
3. When creating your app description, use Google Cloud Natural Language. These tools can assist you in locating the best description for the Google Play algorithm and navigating to the Explore section.
4. In Google Play, use LiveOps to increase the number of purchases and session frequency for your app.
5. Include keywords in reviews because the Google Play algorithm ranks them.